Wednesday 26 September 2012

National Op Shop Week

Op shop
taken from the abc


National Op Shop Week is an invitiaive of 
Do Something!

I love Op Shopping, although I had many more opportunities while living in Victoria, I get into our local shop whenever I can. Op Shops aren't just about buying though. People need to donate for them to be able to sell and this is what the week's focus is on.

“Giving clothes is a great way to help out the community,” said Jon, the founder of action group Do Something. “These donations are a great way to clean up our cupboards and do something positive for those in need. By reusing clothes it also helps the environment.” original site

Spring clean. Such an old fashioned word but you will feel so much better for it. Clear out what is not needed. I think we collect so much that just isn’t needed. When is enough, enough? If you haven't worn it or used it, pass it on. I found two boxes in my shed labels Garage Sale/eBay. I think I will just donate them. I do not have the time to sit at the computer all day uploading items on eBay and I don’t want to have to store garage sale items.
The saying is ‘if you haven’t used it in 6mths you don’t need it’…I don’t think I will even open the boxes to see inside them should I be tempted J

Spring cleaning is the practice of thoroughly cleaning a house in the spring time The practice of spring cleaning is especially prevalent in climates with a cold winter.
The most common usage of spring cleaning refers to the yearly act of cleaning a house from top to bottom which would take place in the first warm days of the year typically in spring, hence the name. 

Take care when donating items though. The Op Shops are not dumping grounds for things that can’t be used. I have heard people say ‘Oh but if someone needs clothes they’d wear it’. A good rule for thumb is ‘Donate it if you would wear it or own it’.

- 60 million kilos of usable clothing a year is donated through charity bins and donations.
- A further 15 million kilos of donated textiles are converted into industrial wiper clothes.
- However 25 million kilos of donated textiles are unusable and have to be sent to landfill.

So many treasures can be found in Op Shops, especially the small town ones run by the older ladies in the community. Those are my favourite.


What treasures have you found at Op Shops?

Happy Spring Cleaning and donating.



No comments:

Post a Comment