Thursday 20 September 2012

Much to share


After the 13 eggs yesterday we only got 5 today. We were chatting about it and wondering whether the weather plays a part in egg production. It was a cold and blustery day today. The chooks were not out and about the yard. They stayed close to the chook house and hayshed. We also lost the brown leghorn  hen last night. She was hit by a car :( Two layers lost, both flighty leghorns which are the most unlikely to get hit. Oh well, that's life on the farm.

We put up temporary fences on Monday and removed the gate from the hayshed. The calves are now free to roam and start eating grass. Aj found it hilarious watching the calves discover what the electric fences were; I felt sorry for them hehehe They are still feeling safest inside but they'll get there.

Aj has been wood splitting today and I have been moving my craft items to a new storage unit; a beautiful retro kitchen cabinet. We went to Waratah yesterday and collected a few more pieces from the lovely Kate and Ben including an organ, and a metal meat safe. I will save the meat save to put up in the boys' bedroom. That is when the twins outgrow their cots and we move the kids around.

 


Thursday nights are foodie nights on the SBS with Gourmet Farmer, a local Tasmanian. Nick makes it look easier than it really is, he obviously has the cash behind him and the farm help that the average person doesn't have, but it's a great show. Destination Flavour and Our Food. A very insightful evening full of ideas to put into the memory bank for later down the track here at Providence Meadows. I am looking forward to tasting our own organically grown chickens; in fact I am seeing some of them are getting ready and my mouth waters. 

Oh and I am excitied to say that I now own a copy of The Contented Chook. My friend Bel put me onto it. Looking forward to making it my chicken guide and note book. :)

What has been the highlight of your week? 

No comments:

Post a Comment