Saturday 22 September 2012

Chookens

It has been a hard day where the chickens are concerned.

I did a lap of the yard this afternoon and found an Isa Brown laying in the garden. There were chooks around her and a Plymouth Rock had been mating with her. She was slowly panting (best way to describe it). Her eyes were tightly shut and she didn't last long.
I went to check on the chooks while the calves' milk heated up and I found a Buff Sussex hen hiding in a corner. She was showing signs of exhaustion with a flopping body and not wanting to stand or sit on her perch. I have brought her inside, given her some Berocca, and we now have to wait and see. She is currently sitting in a box, coughing and throwing herself about. Aj said that she could be just sick but they were all fine this morning and no other chooks seem to be affected.

An update on the Barnavelder chicks (pics 1-5). They are all so different looking at this stage. I was told by the seller that she had used a new rooster this year. I guess I'm a bit of a Guinea Pig but that's ok. Afterall it's a learning experience on raising chicks.

Picture six is one of the four that were meant to have gone under the broody bantam - Blacky...here's hoping that he is a she and that she stays and lays lots of eggs, as MrT has claimed her :)

Here's to a happier Sunday.
What makes you happy? For me, the sunshine and being outside or inside creating with the sun shining through the open door.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so impressed that you're raising chicks! I'd love to but thought i'd wait til lucy's a bit older and needs less constant attention...and here you are doing it with 4 kids! Did you have a broody hen sit on the eggs? Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I used to think the same when I only had T. I look back now and shake my head. It's a matter of just doing it. Just like your love expands to love no2, 3...the same happens with your time. You just manage to get the things done, your thinking changes. Mind you, I stay home more than when I just had T.
    Have a read of http://providencemeadows.blogspot.com.au/2012/09/im-so-excited-i-could-cry.html and it will explain the chicks/ducklings.
    If you want fertile eggs, you'll need an incubator. If you are able to get some chicks, all you need is a large draft proof box and a heat lamp. I think you could do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll try and do a blog based around chick raising for you xo

    ReplyDelete