Sunday 9 September 2012

More chicks and Strawberries



Yesterday 4 of us went to Wilmot to collect 13 beautiful little 5-day-old Barnevelder chicks. It took 2 hours from our place. It was a lovely drive, although the road was very windy at the end and driving was making even me feel car sick. There were some most lovely homes, letterboxes and other sights to see. I would have taken more photos if I didn't have a little 3yr old saying 'I want to go home!' in the back seat. She is normally fine, but not that day.



Barnevelder
The Barnevelder is a popular breed renowned 
for its dark brown eggs. It originated in Holland
 and is a placid, friendly bird easy to contain. 
They are dark brown with double lacing on the
feathers and are excellent layers.

Aussie Goldminer letterbox, Workman & his dog letterbox, brilliant door on a tree at the entrance of a driveway, Mt Roland (in the background of the property where I collected the chicks) and 3 of the chicks.
We built the chicks a new home today. Four of them in a little-used bathroom was great, but 17 means they need to go outside. They are set up in the shed now.

Strawberries



I had wanted to do a gardening blog but I guess the chicks are a tad more exciting at the moment. But I will show you how the strawberries are going in the milk bottles. I do need to replace or add some more raspberry canes below them though. The dog has had a nibble at them.

I have some lettuce in an old teapot that has just sprouted and my oregano has also just sprouted. I would like to get some more quirky things to put my herbs in. I'm wanting the herbs and lettuce, etc, close to the house.

I need to do something outside the side door. Maybe we need an outdoor setting...I'm hanging for the summer :)

Night all xo  



No comments:

Post a Comment