Tuesday 4 September 2012

‘I’m so excited, I could cry’


Well well well. What a day!

Mr T wanted some baby chicks…so we got another broody chook (an Indian Game Bantam sitting on some old duck eggs) and 4 little chicks.

The plan was to take out the duck eggs after dark and replace them with the chicks and hope that she took to them. Instead, I found a little duckling starting to hatch. The chicks are back inside under the heat lamp and we will wait a few days to see if the other two eggs hatch or if they were just ‘old’ eggs J
Mr T’s comment as he went off to bed… ‘I’m so excited, I could cry.’ Beautiful boy! 


Well at 9.30pm we went out to check on things and the egg wasn’t any further on and was smelly!!!
I broke open the egg and the duckling was eager to be rid of it. It is such a special situation to be in to see a duckling emerge from an egg, to see it unravel itself and stretch out. It had pooed in the egg (hence the smell) so I think it was stressed.


I put it back under the hen and as we were shutting the door on the cage a little 'chirp, chirp' could be heard. Beautiful, just beautiful. I feel so blessed!

1 comment:

  1. What an amazing experience mel.... How blessed, where did you originally find the eggs?

    ReplyDelete