Monday 23 July 2012

My Creative Side

Blog recovery: originally Friday 20th July 2012

I started this blog on Wednesday night...I finished the craft project only today. It has been a very busy week for us homebodies. Doctors, vet, morning tea... :)
I love being creative. My mind never stops being creative, whether it’s dreaming about appliqued tee shirts or vegie patches or cottage gardens.
I have been decorating MDF letters, words and shapes for a number of years now. This project is for a friend who has just had a little boy, and I thought I would run you through the steps. I hope you are able to understand the way I do things. Don’t hesitate to ask questions :-)
Things needed:
MDF letters, words or shape
Scrapbooking paper
Paint, general craft
Glue
Files: KaiserCraft file set, strip of sand paper, nail file
Embellishments: gems, ribbon, buttons, stickers…whatever you want to add.
How to go about it. I am using my letters as example:
1)      Layout the letters and write paper on the upside.
2)      Place the letter face down on the back of the paper and trace it. Make sure there is a little extra on the letters edge for a neater finish later. Cut out the paper letter and place it to the side.
3)      Paint the sides and back of the MDF. Don’t worry if it goes over onto the front. You may need two/three coats depending on the colour and thickness. Remember, a thinner coat will come out smoother.
4)      Glue on the paper by putting a thin layer of glue onto the face of the MDF. Press down the edges. This means the paper shouldn’t lift off as the glue will have reached the egde of paper/MDF.
5)      Allow to dry and then shave off the excess egde with a file.
6)      Repaint the back if needed and paint the sides, just covering the egde of the paper.
7)      Embellish with extras.
8)      Sit back and enjoy looking at your work. Well done.
You can spray your work with a Matt Sealer (Spotlight) if you wish.
I find it harder to embellish boys' things as I like to make words and letters a little more timeless, so I have settled for less is more on these letters J
  
STEP 1
  
STEP 2
  
STEP 2a & 3
  
STEP 4
  
STEP 5
  
STEP 6

On my creative to do list:
Sand back and beeswax a vintage children's wardrobe and set of drawers
Make a French Doll – pattern from Dolls and Daydreams – for my sister
Make a doll for a friend
Make a tissue box cover
Paint a few frames for the loungeroom
…a few more too...and then there are the outside jobs hehehe

What's on your To Do List this weekend?

Oh and I'm excited to have received a most beautiful quilt for our bed this week from
www.myonebrownmouse.com.au 's mum, who has made a few quilts from Kerry's sewing scraps!


I got it thinking it'd be nice to go on the spare bed but no, I'm keeping it for us :o) 
I LOVE IT!!!
Go and check out Kerry's work :)
Now to make some nice pillow covers to match...another job :)

3 comments:

  1. Oooohhh I found it! I participated in a random act of kindness activity where you need to make something for someone......so for my first gift I've taken my inspiration from you and my love of your work. Fingers crossed........ahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! Do share a pic when you are done xox

    ReplyDelete