Monday 23 July 2012

I knew better...

Blog recovery: Friday 22nd June 2012

Don't you just kick yourself for those moments when you knew not to do something but you did it anyway. Well I knewnot to put a bucket/tub of water out, that a chook couldn't get of if it fell in, but...yep I did it. I was thinking of the ducks and how they seemed to like being in the water dish...I am still kicking myself. I lost four Plymouth Rocks today. My 3yr old was with me and she reacted better than I thought she would! She was so matter of fact.We took them out of the water, I took the tub out of the shed and replaced it with a smaller tub and a 4L ice-cream bucket. I'll be thinking twice from now on :(


I had to round up the chooks at lock-up time last night. You see, three silver speckled hens, a white rooster and one of the brown hens had got out when I went to feed them. I thought they might just fly back in (our 3 layers do) but no. I found the girls in the hayshed. They were easy to collect and put back to bed but there was no sign of the rooster.
I had to go out and Aj had no luck when he went out to look. I prayed about it and felt that I just had to trust God and that all would be ok. We found him 2 minutes into the 10.30pm hunt. He was up in a tree settled in for the night. Aj grabbed him by his tail and, before we could get him properly and stop him flipping over and over, his tail feathers disconnected from his body :/ He wasn't fussed. We grabbed him properly either side of his body, stopping him flapping about. He was VERY glad to be back in the shed and went and snuggled in with the other chooks.

My puppy, now 9wks old, is doing an excellent job as chookdog. Her parents were both working dogs and you can see the herding instinct in her. She lays down in the grass waiting for her next command. I am working on her running around the back of the chooks by using the command 'come around' and trying to get her to follow me. I loved it yesterday morning when as I stood at the shed door releasing them for the day she layed down placing her chin on my boot.

Happy weekend peoples!

No comments:

Post a Comment