Monday 23 July 2012

First Birthdays and My New Item


Well we celebrated the twins' first birthday with a party this Saturday just gone. We have family here from Victoria so it was perfect timing.
I made a rainbow cake. I used a butter cake recipe, doubled, and then separated into 5 lots. I coloured each mixture and baked them in cake tins of the same time (3 bakes). I put them in the freezer as it is easier to trim the cakes when frozen.
I used jam to join each layer and should have trimmed the edges but thought that the icing would cover up the edges but no…I stuffed up the icing. Oops! First it was too much of the blue colour, then to much milk… then to much red. I wanted to start again, the whole thing, but mum said no.


Doubled Butter Cake Recipe
500g butter, softened
2 cup caster sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla essence
6 eggs
5 cups SR flour
1 1/3 cup milk
Method
Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease and line a small-medium sized square cake pan with baking paper.
Using an electric mixer, cream butter, caster sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating to combine. Add half the flour. Stir to combine. Add half the milk. Stir to combine. Repeat with remaining flour and milk.
Separate into equal portions and colour each portion.
Pour into tin and bake at 180oC until the skewer comes out clean. 



It was an interesting day. A lot of people that we had invited couldn't make it. I am glad that we had family (and friends with a little 1yr old) or it'd have been a weird birthday party with just our four kids. I know that the kids don't recognise the goings on but this was our first '1st' party without all the extended family around. I felt pleased by those that did come and we had a lovely cosy (with the fire going) afternoon.

We followed it with a bonfire. The boys (big and small) loved it!!! Oh, and I did too :)

I got myself a new dining room dresser on Saturday night. It is about 80yrs old and originally from an old farm house in Circular Head. I love it. VERY rustic but looks like it belongs to the house. I didn't realise how heavy it was. Solid pine that dresser. I had originally gone to have a look at bedroom dresser but was told that there had been a mistake in the listing and it was made to look antique not an actual antique. We chatted about our tastes in the vintage/antique furniture and she then rang me late last week with the offer of this dresser, which was just too rustic for their new home.


I have been having internet connection issues so please understand if there is a longer gap between posts :)

Night all x

Something I forgot to mention was that, today when I went to refill the chooks water I had to turn the tub back over and out popped a Plymouth Rock. Poor little guy. I wonder how long he was trapped for. I was kinda funny :)

No comments:

Post a Comment