Wednesday 29 August 2012

Meet Max, Billy & Shady.


Sorry for the lack of blog on Sunday night. We had a crazy weekend getting ready for the calves and doing things about the yard which meant my blogging time was spent getting the clothes washed and pegged out and lunches made for the week.

We got three calves yesterday!!! I am so excited! I’m sure the novelty will wear off but I hope it doesn’t. Well it hasn’t yet with the chooks J
When picking them out the kids were asked what their names were… ‘We don’t name animals we’re going to eat’. Funny boy. I did allow them to be named though as they’ll be with us for 18 months.

Meet Max, Billy & Shady. 

I was blessed to be able to get them from a local dairy farmer. I wanted beef calves but didn’t want to have to sell one of the kids to buy them so we’ll give these guys a shot and see how they taste. I guess though anything home grown has to taste better than supermarket meat.
We are feeding the calves milk morning and night and they are eating ‘calf starter museli’. Can you believe it, I was up at 6.30am to feed them!

The chooks are going well. We have another nine in quarantine taking our total to 56. They are getting more comfortable around us and some are allowing us to pick them up.

My job list for today:

Feed calves – get up at 6.30am TICK
Get Mr on the school bus TICK (but only just hehe)
Put bulk flours, sugar etc in big white buckets
Take non Broody Brooke back to Paul's TICK
Set up and make beds in the spare room for weekend visitors TICK
Fold and put away clothes
Wipe down bathroom
Make a list of Thursday-Sunday night dinners: Tacos, Pizza, Roast, Help yourself – I’ve been slack this week and not done my usual week list. And feeling out of whack because of it. TICK
Go shopping for Thursday-Sunday night dinners HALF TICK

Books I'm reading
Improving my knowledge for home and marriage.

The Urban Homestead
Uncovered: revealing the secrets to a sexy marriage - Susie Davis


In fact I so highly recommend Susie Davis' book that I will buy a copy for anyone who wants one. Leave a comment to let me know.

Enjoy your week all. We have family staying over YAY :) xox

3 comments:

  1. Hey Mel!
    I also totally recommend 'grow your own medicine' by Mim Beim. I also have 'the new complete book of self sufficiency' which I bought from the Digger's club. Trying to remember what other books I've read that have been awesome....hmmm....oh yeah, 'confessions of an eco shopper' by Katy Lock. It's really comprehensive! Loving this journey (PS. I look forward to hearing how your front yard cottage garden goes! I'm trying to do the same thing in ours, and gradually getting there!)
    Love Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow Mel! All is exciting - the book? Interesting! xx The homesteading books look great. Where do you store your flour bins? I don't have a pantry... already thinking I need a larder built on! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me...... when will you have time to apply all this new knowledge...esp that relating to your marriage?????Mwah

    ReplyDelete