Thursday 24 January 2013

Good old fashioned Lemon Cordial


I am starting this blog as I wait patiently for my jars to sterilise in the oven. Jars, you ask? Yep, I have just found THE BEST lemon cordial recipe. 

While in Victoria I got some lemons from my sister-in-law's tree. They are beautiful lemons. As we cannot bring fresh fruit south my MIL juiced them for me. And to finish it off, a yellow fabric jar topper and label. This one is for our guests. 

GOOD OLD FASHIONED LEMON CORDIAL - minus the preservatives 

2 kg caster sugar
1 litre water
30g citric acid
30g tartaric acid
Juice from 6-8 lemons, strained
Finely grated zest from 2 lemons

Heat the sugar and the water in a large saucepan until the sugar completely dissolves.
Add the citric and tartaric acids and stir them to dissolve as well. Let the syrup cool, then add the lemon juice and the zest. Bottle into sterilised jars.

Dilute 1 part cordial to 5 parts water (or to taste). Mineral water would add some fizz for a special touch.

Sterilising bottles in the oven



Preheat the oven to 120°C. Wash jars and lids in soapy water, rinse and place non-plastic lids on a sturdy oven tray. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove and fill immediately with jam or other preserves.



Enjoy your cordial. I know that I am. I can also tick off another item I can make at home and not buy from the supermarket :D




2 comments:

  1. And I can vouch for it's deliciousness!!! Lucy says, 'More, more!' :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made lemon and orange today. That's yummy too!

    ReplyDelete