Wednesday 26 December 2012

A true gift!


I went into Woolworths today for some dinner items and the Christmas stock was being taken down, in fact it was almost done. To think that Christmas day was only yesterday. My first thought was I bet Easter eggs and hot cross buns will be out by the end of the week.

A friend, Christmas eve: ''Just saw a Coles ad that mentioned Easter. Surely that's a record, mentioning Easter on Christmas Eve???"

I don’t know if it is just me, but Christmas has become such a commercial day. The massive build-up and then bam! it’s done and dusted. Even with those around me I see that we as a society are forgetting the original meaning of Christmas. Whether you believe in Christ or not, without Him there wouldn’t be a Christmas. Why do we need to spend lots of our children: stuff that will be out-of-fashion within months and discarded? Why do we need to spend money on people who have it all? I have been reflecting a lot today and it occurred to me that Christmas isn’t even about spending time with family and loved ones. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that is a bad thing, but it’s about Christ first and foremost. He is the reason we celebrate. 


Christ was born, to die, to give us eternal life, if we choose to accept it.


We ate our duck for dinner tonight, Duck a L’Orange, with roast vegetables. It was lovely!!! A very rich and such dark meat. I was surprised at how little meat there was for such a heavy bird but what was there gave 4 adults and 8 kids enough. We were able to share the meal with friends and had a wonderful evening! Worth sharing such a meal like that! Such a great feeling being able to raise, slaughter and cook something that you have put time into. Great also knowing that he was a truly organic bird! 

No comments:

Post a Comment