Thursday 11 October 2012

Taking the plunge

It is so very easy to stay in the comfort zone. I am safe, secure and comfortable in my comfort zone. I get to stay in my PJs if I want, don't have to brush my hair and don't have to worry about my snotty  dribble-drenched kids. I don't have to worry about conversation and people's thoughts. My animals need looking after and there is always housework to be done. But we don't grow by staying in the zone: we go stale.


I have been suffering from some depression of late. I am in two minds: to let people go and not be bothered or to follow up and chase some friendships. I should be seeking God for my satisfaction but instead I am seeking it firstly in friendships. Without God first, the friendships will not flourish, but it seems so much easier to say than to do. I also need to stop over-thinking things and just be a friend to others.

I have to get out there and do coffee; spend the morning out more often and see my lifestyle improve. I have to take the plunge. I don't want to go to places or events where I genuinely don't feel welcome or comfortable, but I need to get out of the house, even if it's just to go to the shops for a wander.

I took the plunge today. I was bold and did something out of the ordinary for me. I now have a fringe. I haven't had a fringe in about 20 years. Thanks Lucy for your confident words of encouragement, I love it!

I hope you are finding my blogs encouraging.
Many blessings on you this weekend coming. YAY, it's FRIDAY TOMORROW!

5 comments:

  1. this echo's my thoughts atm mel.... well done for taking the plunge

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mel,
    Thanks again for your honesty. I used to berate myself because I looked for satisfaction in others rather than God- or so I thought. But I've come to realize that finding satisfaction and life in my friends doesn't mean I find less satisfaction or life in God. Actually, the opposite! I used to feel like I was failing by admitting that I needed others to help me get through - but there's no shame in doing what God has designed us to, i.e. live in community, as a body! Besides, God calls us to empty ourselves and serve him by loving others. Obviously your primary 'targets' for that are your hubby and kids, but so are your friends! I've been praying this prayer lately from a book about Mother Teresa and the sisters who serve in her order. This is an excerpt from the prayer:

    Dear Jesus...
    Shine through me, and be so in me
    That every soul I come in contact with
    May feel Your presence in my soul.
    Let them look up and see no longer me, but only Jesus!

    Stay with me and then I shall begin to shine as You shine,
    So to shine as to be a light to others;
    The light, O Jesus will be all from You; none of it will be mine;
    It will be you, shining on others through me.

    (the rest of it can be found here: http://www.worldprayers.org/archive/prayers/invocations/dear_jesus_help_me_to.html)

    This only happens when we're around others...so may you find that fulfillment in your friendships! (Altho it must be hard to do stuff with your little gang of kidlings in tow!!)

    Anyway, just some random thoughts, hope they're encouraging, make sense, and are not preachy :P
    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS. The fringe looks lovely! How good does it feel to do something like that occassionally!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been fee ling very much the same of late... I was thinking od you just yesterday and wondering how you were feeling. I cut my own fringe last week, so funny! You look gorgeous x x

    ReplyDelete