Tuesday 14 May 2013

To market to market


Just a small piece of history for you.

The first complete recorded version of the rhyme appeared in 1805 in Songs for the Nursery with no reference to a pig:
To market, to market to buy a penny bun,
Home again, home again, market is done.

When the rhyme reappeared later in the nineteenth century, it took the now common form:
To market, to market, to buy a fat pig,
Home again, home again, jiggety-jig.

Well I went to market, two of them, and have come home again.  Thursday's market was at our local MOPS. It was a closed group market and while I thought I wouldn't do well, compared to Saturdays Art & Makers Market in town, it did do well.

People loved the baby shoes and tee shirts but weren't overly interested in spending. I came home wondering if my items are marketable.   I need to work on how to promote my product.  There are people in this town who just can't justify spending the money that my products are worth. So back to the drawing board: Etsy site? Pay for advertisement on madeit? And then there is the possibility of putting them in a shop in Stanley called The Brown Dog. I have left samples with the new owner and am looking forward to hearing from her soon. 

My mum and Grandma are here at the moment. Great to spend Mothers Day with them both. I miss having family around so much. You can have supportive friends but nothing beats family, especially mum! 

And what did I get for Mother's day?Two beastie  beauties and  15m of firewood logs.

 Fresh mushrooms, straight from our paddocks (yes, rest assured  they are edible. I let Aj eat them first though) 

Mr T is reading his way through a stack of joke cards that Aj had as a boy. They are the typical nonsense jokes that kids laugh at but don't get. I thought this one was very appropriate for Providence Meadows. 
Q: How do you stop a cockerel crowing at daybreak on Sunday?
A: Eat it on Saturday night.







No comments:

Post a Comment