Monday 8 April 2013

Butchering Day




March 19th was my last post. I can't believe it has been so long.
I have had trouble posting, and much on here at home.
An email from a friend and follower prompted me to get on and say hello and catch you up.

Here is the post from the butchering day.


Wednesday (the 27th March) was cut up the steers day.

At about 11.30 the butchers arrived and it was go go go. It was fast paced but I wasn't as stressed as I thought I would be. The first steer went into large bags per cut. Which was just as well as I was by myself. The second, went into meal sized bags which took more time but Aj was home and helping by then. We were blessed to have Friend#1 looking after the kids until 1 and then Friend#2 took over. I seriously could not have worked as well without the help so it was so greatly appreciated. The butchers were all done and driving away by 3pm. 

I'm sure if I had wanted different I could have asked but the cuts of meat we were offered, and that I took, were as follows: 

Eye Fillet, Porter House, Scotch, 
Rump, Blade Steak/Roast, Oyster Blade, 
Rolled Roast, Silver side 
and anything left over minced.

We ate the best steak ever on Thursday night and it was only rump...can't wait for the eye fillets!

We went out to turn and rotate the meat in the chest freezer after dinner Thursday. None of it was frozen! The frezer was not coping with a full load. SO we sorted out the inside frezers and made things  fit. Only a few bags of mince and stewing steak had to remain out in the chest freezer. I think it would be okay if the meat was already frozen but the fan on it has not stopped running. We can't be sure it will not happen again next year and what if we have other things in the freezer? So it's off to buy a new chest freezer...some time before next years butcher :)

No comments:

Post a Comment